More ways to use those easy to grow, but quite hard to get through before they go rotten, BEETROOT…
250g cooked beetroot (we used the boltardy rather than the choggia)
50g cocoa powder
100g dark chocolate (smashed into tiny bits)
180g plain flour (we used gluten free)
2tsp baking powder
250g caster sugar
3 large eggs
200ml flavourless oil (veg, sunflower or corn oil)
Modified from the BBC recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 180C/355F/Gas 4. Arrange paper muffin cases in a 12-mould muffin tin.
- Sift the cocoa powder, flour and baking powder into a bowl. Mix in the sugar, and set aside. Smash the chocolate into bits and add to the dry ingredients.
- Purée the beetroot in a food processor. Add the eggs, one at a time, then add the vanilla and oil and blend until smooth.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, add the beetroot mixture and lightly mix. Pour into the muffin cases.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is firm when pressed with a finger.
- Cool on a wire rack and dust with icing sugar to serve.