Juicy pears, caramel and almond sponge…you’re welcome!
This is based on an apple and almond cake recipe
- 4-5 conference or other ripe pears sliced lengthways – leave the skins on if you like
- 300g/10½g golden caster sugar
- 8 free-range eggs
- 325g/11½oz ground almonds
- ½ tsp almond essence
- 50g/2oz flaked almonds
- icing sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 180C/375F/Gas 4. Lightly grease and line the base of a 25cm/10in spring form tin with a little oil.
- make caramel in a pan with 100g of sugar and a tablespoon or 2 of water – cook until golden.
- arrange the sliced pears in the cake tin and pour over the caramel.
- Put the eggs, ground almonds, almond essence, remaining caster sugar and into a food processor and blend together. Pour onto the pears.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Check the cake after about 30 minutes, and if the cake is getting too brown cover the top with parchment paper or foil.
- Leave to cool slightly before you remove the cake from the tin. Place the serving plate over the top of the in and flip to have the pears facing upwards.
- This is delicious served warm or cold with a generous sprinkling of icing sugar.